- 170 g Salted butter at room temperature
- 170 g / ¾ cup Selati Castor sugar
- 3 Lemons, zested
- 4 Large eggs at room temperature
- 170 g / 1¼ cups Supreme Cake Wheat Flour
- 5 ml Supreme Baking powder
- 1 g Salt
Lemon syrup to soak sponge:
- 220 g Selati White sugar
- 220 ml Fresh lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C and grease a 24cm spring form tin.
- With a hand blender, cream butter, Selati sugar and lemon zest on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add eggs to mixture one at a time, allowing them to be well mixed in so mixture won’t curdle.
- Sift Supreme flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add to mixture and mix on low speed until just incorporated. Do not over mix!
- Spread mixture evenly into tins, leaving a small dip in the centre, as the mixture will naturally rise up higher in the centre in the oven.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back under your touch, or a skewer comes out clean.
For the lemon syrup:
- In a pot, bring lemon juice and sugar to the boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved.
- Slowly pour over the sponges until soaked in.
- Leave to cool, turn out and serve with whipped cream or mascarpone cheese.