- ¼ cup butter melted
- 125ml almond flour
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup Selati Castor Snow
- 2ml salt
- 125ml coconut flour
- 250ml Selati Castor Snow
- 70g butter
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks (save whites for topping)
- 160ml lemon juice
- 5ml lemon zest
- 4 egg whites
- 50ml Selati Castor Snow
- Preheat oven to 200ºC
- Add almond flour, eggs, Selati sugar and salt to melted butter
- Stir in coconut flour
- Knead dough with hands and shape into a ball.
- Place into 20cm spring form cake tin and press dough into tin creating an edge about 3cm high.
- Press the base of a glass into the crust to create a smooth surface.
- Prick the crust with a fork and bake for 10 minutes
- Allow to cool.
- Beat the Selati sugar and butter with an electric beater for 2 minutes
- Slowly add the eggs and yolks, continue to beat for another minute
- Mix in the lemon juice and zest. The mixture will curdle, don’t worry about this.
- Pour the mixture into a medium saucepan and cook on a medium heat, stirring constantly. The mixture will thicken, don’t let it boil.
- Pour into the pastry shell and allow to cool.
- Beat the egg whites until they are stiff.
- Gradually add the Selati sugar while you continue beating. The mixture will resemble shaving cream.
- Spread the meringue over the filling, fluffing up the meringue and taking care to cover the all the filling.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 180ºC until meringue is golden brown.
- Allow to cool and filling to set for at least 2 hours before cutting.