Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
Serves: 18 Cookies
- 1¼ cups Supreme Cake Wheat Flour
- ½ cup Unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ Teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1½ Cups Selati sugar
- 150 g Unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 Large egg
- 115 g Unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 cups Sifted icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla essence
- Set two racks in the middle of the oven and pre-heat it to 180°C.
- In a food processor or bowl of an electric mixer, thoroughly mix all dry ingredients for the cookies.
- On low speed, or while pulsing the processor, add the butter and then the egg.
- Continue processing or mixing until dough comes together in a mass. It will be a very stiff, very dry dough (this is what it’s supposed to look like).
- Take rounded teaspoons of batter and place approximately 5cm apart on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- With moistened hands, slightly flatten the dough.
- Bake for 9 minutes, rotating once for even baking. The cookies will look puffy, which is correct.
- Set baking sheets on a rack to cool and thump them slightly to make the cookies deflate, or press them down with the back of a spoon.
To make the filling:
- Place butter in a mixing bowl and, at a low speed, gradually beat in the Selati sugar and vanilla.
- Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2 – 3 minutes until filling is light and fluffy.
- To assemble the cookies, pipe a blob of cream into the centre of one cookie.
- Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the cream.
- Lightly press it, to work the filling evenly to the outsides of the cookie.