- 100g butter (chopped)
- 100g white chocolate (broken into pieces)
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 100g ground almonds
- 125g Selati brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50g whole almonds (toasted & chopped)
- 50g Supreme cake flour
- 200g tinned cherries
- 25g Selati white sugar
- 25ml water
- ½ teaspoon agar
- Few drops of red gel food colouring
- 2 teaspoons cherry liqueur
- 6 large egg whites (room temperature)
- 210g / ½ cups Selati castor sugar
- 200g good-quality dark chocolate (melted)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Fresh cherries and edible gold leaf (to decorate)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan and line a 20cm square baking tray with baking paper.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in a saucepan.
- Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and brown sugar and stir to combine. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Once cool, add the eggs, then the ground almond meal and fl our and stir well to combine.
- Pour the brownie mix into the prepared tray and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the brownies are risen, golden brown in colour and firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool completely then cut into 5cm discs using a cookie cutter.
- Place on a cooling rack with a baking sheet underneath.
To make the cherry gel:
- Place the cherries, juice and 60ml water in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Add the sugar and agar and bring to a boil; allow to boil for 3 minutes before removing it from the heat.
- Stir in the food colouring.
- Pour into a container and refrigerate until set. Break the set gel up into pieces and place into a blender (or use a hand blender) and blend until smooth and thick.
- Place in a small piping bag fitted with a small plain nozzle.
To make the cherry marshmallow:
- Place the egg whites in a clean bowl and whip until soft peak stage.
- Add the sugar gradually while whisking until the mixture is stiff and glossy.
- Add the liqueur and beat for 3 minutes or until thick.
- Working quickly, place the marshmallow into a piping bag fitted with a straight nozzle and pipe a ring around the blondie base.
- Pipe the cherry gel into the centre of each then continue piping swirls on top.
- Repeat with the remaining blondie bases and marshmallow.
- Place the chocolate and oil in a small bowl and mix to combine. Pour over the marshmallow, making sure each sweetie pie is completely covered.
- Allow to set completely.