- 25g / 60ml cocoa powder
- 225g / 375ml Supreme cake flour
- 125g / 125ml salted butter (chilled and cubed)
- 80g / 155ml Selati icing sugar
- 3 large egg yolks (refrigerated)
- Swiss Meringue Buttercream:
- 150g egg whites (± 4 eggs)
- 225g Selati castor sugar
- 500g unsalted butter (cut into blocks, softened)
- 1 juicy vanilla pod (seeds scraped but not discarded)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 100g fresh raspberries
- Freeze-dried raspberry powder
- Place the cocoa powder, cake flour, butter and icing sugar in a food processor and process until the mixture forms a breadcrumb consistency.
- With the motor running, add the egg yolks and just enough water so the pastry comes together and forms a soft dough.
- Form into a flattened ball, wrap in cling flim and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C / 160°C fan. Grease 2 large baking sheets and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, working with 1 disc of pastry at a time, roll the pastry out onto a large sheet of baking paper 5mm thick, then cut each into a medium-sized circle (12 x 12cm).
- Cut out the centre of each circle so you’re left with a 2cm border.
- Bake the pastry discs in the pre-heated oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Place the egg whites and sugar in a bowl that fits over 1 of your saucepans.
- Fill the bottom of the saucepan with water and bring it to a gentle simmer.
- Place the bowl with the egg and sugar over the hot water and stir gently with a whisk (don’t whisk to aerate the mixture).
- Keep stirring until the mixture reaches 60°C on a thermometer or until the egg is hot to the touch.
- Transfer the hot mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer and using the whisk attachment, whip the mixture on high until light and fluffy.
- Continue whipping for a good 10 minutes or until the meringue is cool to the touch.
- Slowly add the butter 1 block at a time.
- Scrape in the vanilla seeds and squeeze in the lemon juice, to taste.
- Place the buttercream in a piping bag with a straight nozzle.
To assemble the tart:
- Pipe blobs of buttercream on the 1st pastry disc to cover the surface area, then top with the 2nd pastry heart.
- Repeat with the remaining pastry layer so you have 3 in total.
- Decorate the top with more buttercream then arrange fresh raspberries in-between. Dust with crumbled freeze-dried raspberries.