Butternut And Boerenkaas Scones
A TWIST ON AN EVERYDAY CHEESE SCONE –
MAKE IT YOUR AFTERNOON TREAT.
- 350g butternut (peeled & cubed)
- 300g / 2 ½ cups Supreme cake flour
- 5ml baking powder
- 1 cup Boerenkaas or white cheddar (grated)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons sage (finely chopped)
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- egg wash
- 1 egg yolk
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC.
- Steam the butternut in a metal basket or sieve over boiling water (lid on).
- Cook for 10-15 minutes until soft. Set aside to cool and dry off in the air.
- Blend in a food processor or with an immersion blender until smooth (you could also mash by hand using a potato masher).
- Mix the flour, baking powder, cheese, herbs, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Add the ½ cup buttermilk and butternut puree to the dry mixture and lightly mix until just combined.
- Turn the mixture out onto a lightly fl oured surface and knead slightly to form a dough.
- Press the dough down to ± 4-5cm thickness and cut the scones using a 5-6cm cookie cutter and place on a baking sheet lined with silicone or baking paper.
- Mix the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon buttermilk together and brush the tops of the scones (NOT the sides).
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.