WITH LEBANESE 7 SPICE
DRIZZLED WITH HERB YOGHURT
AND POMEGRANATE ARILS.
- 450g aubergines (± 2 medium)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups Supreme cake flour
- 1 tablespoon sea salt (divided)
- 1 tablespoon Lebanese 7 spice (baharat)
- vegetable or canola oil for frying
- ¾ cup plain yoghurt
- 20g parsley (fi nely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar salt and pepper
- handful of pomegranate arils
- About an hour before frying, trim ends of each aubergine then slice them lengthways into 4 or 5 thick slices. Leave skins on. Turn and slice again
into strips (± 30 fries per aubergine).
- Lay them out flat on your cutting board or counter and sprinkle both sides with the kosher salt.
- Then let sit for an hour. This will draw out any bitterness.
- After the hour, place in a bowl and cover with ice water.
- In a large bowl, mix the fl our, 1 teaspoon of the sea salt and the Lebanese 7 spice.
- Place a large pot on the stove and fi ll half way with the oil and heat to 180ºC.
- Pre-heat oven to 150ºC (to keep the fries hot as you cook each batch).
- Drain the ice water from the aubergines but do not pat dry. While still wet dredge them all in the fl our mixture and then place on a tray.
- Fry in batches for about 4-5 minutes or until they just start to brown and turn a light golden colour. Using a strainer, remove to a tray with paper
towels and generously sprinkle with the remaining sea salt.
- As each batch is cooked, place on a pan and hold in the oven until all the fries have been cooked.
- To make the yoghurt mix all the ingredients together and serve in a dipping bowl with the fries on the side.