- 25 g / 2 tablespoons Selati Sugar
- 10 g Dried yeast
- Lukewarm water
- 845 g / 6 ¾ cups Supreme Cake Wheat Flour
- 10 ml / 2 teaspoons Salt
- Cooking oil for frying
- Mix the Selati sugar and yeast with some of the lukewarm water and leave to foam.
- Sift Supreme flour and salt.
- Pour yeast into flour and knead.
- Leave the dough in the bowl and cover loosely with lightly oiled clingwrap and a damp cloth.
- Leave to rise for about 45 – 60 minutes until it is double its original size.
To fry the vetkoek:
- Pour the cooking oil into a frying pan so you have ± 3 or 4cm of oil in the pan.
- Heat the oil to about 200°C.
- Divide the dough into balls about the size of a tennis ball.
- Flatten the dough until it is ± 3cm thick and about the size of your palm.
- Place two or three of the flattened dough balls at a time into the heated oil.
- Fry each side until golden brown. Serve with butter and jam or cheese.