- 250 g / 2 cups Selati Sugar
- 8 Eggs
- 360 ml Water
- 10 ml / 2 teaspoons Vanilla essence
- 250 g Butter
- 4 cups Supreme Cake Wheat Flour
- 10 ml / 2 teaspoons Salt
- 20 ml Supreme Baking powder
- 6 Different colours of food colouring
- 450 g Butter
- 10 ml / 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 8 cups Selati Icing sugar, sifted
- 60 ml Milk
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C and grease and line six 15cm cake tins.
- Beat Selati sugar and eggs until fluffy.
- Heat water, vanilla and butter.
- Add to egg and Selati sugar mixture and mix until well combined.
- Sieve all dry ingredients and add to wet ingredients mixture.
- Mix until well combined.
- Divide batter evenly among six small bowls.
- Starting with the lightest colour, tint batter with food colouring, whisking in a few drops at a time until the desired intensity is reached.
- Pour evenly into the prepared tins.
- Bake the cakes for 15 to 25 minutes in the pre-heated oven, until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing the cakes from tins to cool.
To make the icing:
- Cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the Selati icing sugar alternately with the milk and vanilla.
- Beat to a spreading consistency.
- Stack layers according to colours of the rainbow, spreading a thin layer of buttercream between each.
- Using an offset spatula, ice the whole cake with a thin layer of butter cream.
- Place cake on a freezer safe plate. Freeze for 15 minutes, or until buttercream is firm.
- Remove from the freezer and decorate as desired.