- 480 g Supreme Cake Wheat Flour
- 50 g Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 250 ml Milk
- 30 ml / 2 tablespoons Baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- Oil for frying
- 800 g Selati Sugar
- 375 ml Water
- 2 ml Cream of tartar
- 2 ml Ground ginger
- 3 sticks Cinnamon
- First make the syrup by heating water in a saucepan, add the Selati sugar and stir until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Add cream of tartar, ginger and cinnamon to the syrup.
- Boil, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Do not stir. Remove from stove and chill in the refrigerator.
To make the koeksisters:
- Sift dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Add butter and rub in with your fingertips until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Beat the eggs and milk together and add to the dry ingredients.
- Mix the dough well, then knead lightly for 2 minutes to make it pliable.
- Place in a bowl and cover with a cloth.
- Allow to prove for an hour.
- Roll dough out to your desired thickness and cut into strips. The dough will expand on cooking.
- Take two strips of dough and twist them around each other, securing both ends.
- Fry in pre-heated oil (190°C) until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove from the oil, drain on paper towel for a minute and then dip into the cold syrup for 30 seconds.
- Remove from syrup and place onto a dish to dry.