For the pap balls:
- 500g maize meal
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 litre water
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme, chopped
- 60ml Nola Original Mayonnaise
- 200g cheddar cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 100g breadcrumbs
- Oil for frying
For the Nola spicy dip:
- 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp Nola Original Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp chili sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1tsp parsley, chopped
- Bring water to the boil in a saucepan, then add salt.
- Slowly whisk in the maize meal, beating out the lumps.
- Reduce heat to medium and allow the pap to simmer with the lid tightly closed for 20 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Add the onions, pepper and thyme and cook for a further 10 minutes at a low heat.
- Remove from heat, whisk in the Nola Original Mayonnaise and set aside to cool.
- Once the pap has cooled slightly, use a tablespoon to scoop some pap out, flatten on the palm of your hand using the back of the spoon.
- Place the cheese squares in the middle, roll up the pap to form a ball covering the cheese completely.
- Roll the pap balls, in the egg mixture and then into the crumbs.
- Heat oil and fry the balls until golden.
- Then drain them on paper towel.
- Mix all the Nola spicy dip ingredients together.
- Serve the pap balls warm with the Nola spicy dip.