Oat & Date Tray Bake
Serves: 18 Squares
- 370 g Dates pitted and chopped
- 30 ml Lemon juice
- 150 g Selati Castor sugar
- 150 ml Water
- 190 g / 1 ¼ cups Supreme Cake Wheat Flour
- 220 g Brown sugar (Demerara)
- 120 g / 1 cup Rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 155 g Margarine
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C.
To make date filling:
- In a saucepan over low heat, combine dates, water, Selati castor sugar and lemon juice.
- Heat for ±10 minutes or until thick.
- Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, Demerara sugar, oats and salt.
- Mix until well blended.
- Rub in margarine until mixture forms coarse crumbs.
- Press half the oats mixture into a square baking tray and cover with the date mixture.
- Chill in fridge for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, press the rest of the mix on cling wrap to form the approximate width and length of the tray.
- Take out the chilled tray and invert on top, filling any holes.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool, then cut into squares.