For the stew:
- 1.5kg stewing beef
- 3 tbsp (45ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 1 tbsp (15ml) thyme
- 1 tbsp (15ml) rosemary
- 2 tsp (10ml) tomato paste
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup (250ml) beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
For the dumplings:
- 2 cups (500ml) vegetable stock
- 200g maize meal
- 1/2 cup (125ml) Nola Original Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup (125ml) grated cheese
- 2 tbsp (30ml) parsley, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a casserole dish over a low heat.
- Add the beef and brown all over.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Mix in the garlic, celery and herbs and sauté for another 3 minutes or until the onions are soft and sweet.
- Add the browned beef, tomato paste, tinned tomato, stock and bay leaf and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, cover tightly and simmer for 60 minutes or until the beef is soft and tender, adding the carrots in for the last 20 minutes of cooking.
- In the meantime, to make the dumplings, bring the vegetable stock to the boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Pour in the maize meal, season and stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until thick and creamy.
- Stir in the Nola Original Mayonnaise, cheese and parsley and tip onto a baking sheet to cool until warm enough to handle.
- Using wet hands, roll into dumplings and pop on the top of the stew 20 minutes before the end of cooking.
For extra creaminess: serve with a generous dollop of Nola Original Mayonnaise on top of each serving.