Old Fashioned Buttermilk Rusks
Serves: 20 Rusks
- 750 ml Buttermilk, room temperature
- 215 g Butter, melted
- 20 g Dry yeast
- 100 g Selati Castor sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 5 ml / 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda
- 1.3 kg Supreme Cake Wheat Flour
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together buttermilk, melted butter and yeast.
- Stir until the yeast has dissolved and leave to stand for a couple of minutes, so that the yeast starts to bubble slightly.
- Add the Selati sugar, salt and bicarbonate of soda and mix well.
- Start adding the Supreme flour to the wet mixture – add two thirds and combine well.
- Add the remaining flour, continuously kneading, until the dough becomes pliable and elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, covered loosely with lightly oiled clingwrap then a damp cloth, and leave to prove 45 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- At this stage, pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Shape the dough into small balls and place, tightly packed, into a well-greased loaf tin.
- Cover with a damp cloth again and leave to prove for a second time (45 minutes).
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 30 – 40 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Gently tear the pieces apart and place onto a baking tray.
- Return to the oven, pre-heated to 100°C, and leave to dry out for more or less 8 hours.